Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Meet my Kids


I've told you a little about my kids over the last couple of months. But, I thought it was time I really introduced them and shared a bit about who they are as people.

Two Peas in a Pod?


When you have twins, one of the first things people always ask is, “Are they a lot alike?” I’m sure there are some twins out there somewhere that have similar personalities. But, mine definitely aren’t it.

Even before they were born, my kiddos showed very distinct personalities. While in my belly, Bubby was calm and relaxed. Every once in a while he’d move just a bit to let me know he was still there. Sissy on the other hand, practiced gymnastics on a regular basis, using my ribs as the uneven bars.

When they were born, Sissy came out screaming, but Bub couldn’t even breathe. They whisked him away to the NICU until they had him breathing normally and brought him to me about a half-hour after later.

Since that time, that has pretty much been the way of things at our house. My little boy is laid-back and takes things in stride. But, my princess is full of drama and emotion.



Bubby

My serious little guy
Bub is my curious one. He has a tender heart and often cries when his sister gets in trouble. He also tends to take things very literally. A few weeks ago, I said something jokingly and he didn’t understand that I wasn’t serious. I laughed and said, “How many times have I told you, you can’t take everything literally?” He answered, “I don’t know. Fifteen?” I laughed some more and I said, “Bub, you just did it again!” To which he replied, “Oh, now I’ve done it sixteen times!”

He is a great person to have on your side. He’s always willing to work harder for other people than he is for himself. But, he has a tendency to be lazy in general. It is something we are constantly working on!
Bub doing his "silly dance"
While he can be very serious at times, he tends to have a goofy sense of humor. He tells corny jokes, does silly dances, and loves slap-stick. Tom and Jerry is one of his favorite cartoons.

He loves drawing (mostly cars and planes), and will build with any materials you give him. He loves He loves Legos and Transformers. He gets a lot of excitement from detailed instructions and will spend hours following them to put together his projects perfectly. This is a lot like my husband who taught himself to work on computers by taking one apart and putting it back together using a book from the library when he was a kid.

His favorite sport to play is tennis. My sister started giving him lessons this summer and he caught on pretty quickly. He is also a Boy Scout and loves working on his patches and beads.


Sissy

Little Miss Attitude all gussied up for her dance recital.
Sis is a drama queen. And I mean that in a completely positive way! She is full of life and passion. She is also full of emotion. In this way, she takes after me. While it can be a bit much to handle at times, I really love the way that she goes for life with everything she has.

She is also my little "mommy." She loves to take care of everyone around her.  Sometimes she drives her brother nuts!  But, she is always there to lend a hand when he needs it.  She is also a great helper around the house.  She actually likes to clean!  In this way she is not like me at all!

She is also a perfectionist.  She loves having everything "just so" and can become frustrated when something goes wrong.  But, she will work hard until things turn out right and never give up.

Pretty in Pink
Even though she really enjoys playing in the dirt, she is a very "girly" girl.  She loves sparkles and bows, painting her nails and playing with makeup.  Her American Girl is her constant companion; often with matching clothes.

She loves to dance and has been taking tap and ballet classes since she was three.  She also takes piano lessons.  She practices every day without me ever having to remind her.  She seems to have a natural talent and I'm excited to see how she progresses.

Like her brother, she also loves drawing.  But, instead of cars and planes, she doodles flowers and hearts.  You can often find her creating a card for someone special in her life just to say "I love you." 




Together


Even though they are so different from one another, Bubby and Sissy are best friends.  There is no one that either would rather play with.  They often talk about how much they miss each other when they have only been separated for a few hours.

In so many ways, their different personalities compliment each other perfectly.  Where one is weak, the other is strong.  Where one fails, the other can pick them up to help them succeed. 

I was never a person who thought, "I hope I have twins someday!"  But, God knows what we need so much better than we do.  Despite the work of two babies at once, I would never change this experience for the world. 

I am so blessed to have two wonderful children who I don't just love, but I truly enjoy as people.




No comments:

Post a Comment