Thursday, August 2, 2012

Empty Nest (For a Few Days, at Least)

My kids are leaving me.  They are packing up, waving good-bye, and headed to Gatlinburg for 4 whole days.  I really isn't fair. :-<

I want them to have a good time, but this will be the longest I've ever been away from my kids in their almost 7 years on Earth.  I'm having a bit of a hard time with the whole thing.

Kids and me in the Smokey Mountains 2009
You see, I was originally only going to be separated from them for one night.  My husband and I were headed to a wedding out of town and my parents were going to keep the kids overnight for us.  No big deal.  We've done over-nights before.  But, then my sister had the great idea to invite my parents along when she and my brother-in-law went to Gatlinburg that same weekend.  Since my parents were already watching the kids, they asked if they could just take them with them.  Granted, they probably would have wanted the kids to go along anyway.  But, last time that happened, I was invited, too (Who can pass up a free vacation?  Poor hubby had to work.).  Not this time.  I already had plans and they knew it.

So, on Saturday morning, I need to get up and take my kids to my parent's house.  Then, I'll watch them drive away for a fun-filled vacation without me.  Of course, I'm a little disappointed that I don't get to go on a fun trip.  But, really, I'm just sad that I don't get to experience all the fun my kids will have.  Because, I know they are going to have a great time!  They will come home with tons of stories and pictures to share.  And, I'll be here waiting - excited to see them and missing them so bad I could burst!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with myself after I get home from the wedding.  I've never had the house to myself for two whole days!  Maybe I'll take a nap!  Maybe I'll read a book!  Maybe I'll watch a sappy movie!  Definitely miss my kids.

The whole situation has me realizing that I need to treasure my time with my kids.  They aren't going to be kids forever.  Eventually they are going to grow up and move out.  (Except, of course, Bubby, who swears he is never getting married and is going to live with me forever.  I'll have to remind him of that one day when he brings home the girl he plans to marry.)  Someday I really will be an empty-nester.  But, until then, I need to make the most of the time God has given us to be together.  This trip is going to be a growing experience for all of us.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment