Saturday, October 6, 2012

It's Been a Long Time Coming...

Yesterday, I drank pop (soda) at dinner.  A few months ago, this wouldn't have been worth posting.  I drank a pop?  Big deal!  I drink pop every single day!  But, around the same time I started my weight loss journey, I decided that I was going to cut pop out of my diet.  Since then, I have been drinking orange juice with breakfast and water the rest of the day.  I admit that I didn't post about this when I made the decision because I wasn't sure I would actually be able to stick with it.  But, so far I've only had a couple of glasses of pop - normally at a restaurant or party.  And, I'm happy with that! 

Pop has long been an issue for me. Until I was in high school, I drank Pepsi with every meal and several glasses in between.  I honestly never drank anything but pop.  At home, at restaurants, at friends' house, at parties...everywhere!  I knew it wasn't good for me, but I was hooked!  My food didn't taste the same without it.  I craved the taste.  And, then there is the caffeine...Without my caffeine I would get headaches, tired, and crabby.   You didn't want to be around me until after my first glass of pop in the morning.

When I first started making small changes to my pop-addiction I never thought I would really do away with it completely.  I really didn't have an desire to, nor did I see the point.



The Loooong, Slow Road...

1) Breakfast

The very first change I made was back in high school when I started drinking orange juice for breakfast.  I knew I needed to be a little healthier.  But, I really had no clue where to start.  I figured it couldn't hurt to cut out a glass of pop everyday and replace it with fruit juice.  So, that's what I did.  I doubt it made much of a difference.  But, it was a step.

2) Cutting the Calories

Switching from regular pop to diet was my first big step.  And, boy was it a hard one!  I hated the taste of diet pop!   If it was the only thing available, I just didn't drink anything.  One sip was enough to make me gag.  

But, when I started Weight Watchers the first time around, the first thing I looked at was how many points a glass of pop was.  To say I shocked was an understatement.  I didn't like it, but I knew the pop had to go.  But, there was still my need for caffeine.  I had just recently started my sleep apnea treatment  and I had spent so many years overcome with fatigue that the idea of being tired terrified me.  I was not ready to give up caffeine.  Since I didn't like any other drinks with caffeine in them (I wanted to like coffee, but just couldn't!) and I didn't want to take pills, I decided to just bite the bullet and make the switch to diet.

I didn't do it suddenly, though.  I still hated the taste!  Instead, I slowly started to add a little bit of diet to my regular pop.  Just enough that I could barely taste a difference.  Then, once I was used to that, I would slowly add a little more to the next glass and a little more to the next.  It wasn't long until I had more diet pop in the glass than regular and eventually stopped adding the regular altogether.  The best part was that it wasn't a painful switch at all!  It was so gradual that I never had to drink something I didn't like the taste of.  

The whole process took about two weeks and now, the regular stuff is what tastes funny to me.  By the way, I lost 20 pounds in three weeks after starting the switch!  What a difference those empty calories make!

3) Zzzzz

My next big step was to cut out the caffeine.  Like I mentioned before, this terrified me!  But, when I started hoping for another baby, it gave me the push I needed.  I used the same gradual method I used to switch from regular to diet to switch to caffeine-free.  

In the beginning there were a lot of headaches and crabbiness.  But, after a few weeks of being without caffeine I began to notice a difference.  I was no more tired than I was before.  If anything, I had a little bit more energy!  Plus, I didn't get headaches that I needed to drink a pop to get rid of and there was no crabbiness if it had been a few hours since my last glass.

4) Meals Only

You might be wondering why, instead of all these switches I didn't just cut out the pop altogether.  The answer is that I like the taste!  I enjoy a glass of pop.  And, my food just didn't taste the same without it.  

For this reason, my next step was to switch to water unless I was eating a meal.  This way, my food still tasted the same, but I would be increasing the amount of water I consumed and decreasing the amount of pop.  This was a pretty easy switch.  But, it cut my pop down quite a bit.

5) Buh-bye, Pop!

When I started Weight Watcher's again, I decided to give it a try and just cut out the pop.  I had switched to diet and that hadn't killed me.  I'd even cut out the caffeine and survived.  So, I knew that I could made the final leap if I really tried.  Besides, think of how much money I'd save (you'll only understand what a huge point that was if you are really frugal)!

I looked in the fridge and saw that I had two 2-liter bottles of pop left.  I decided that, as soon as those were gone, I wouldn't buy myself any more.  I'd keep drinking my orange juice for breakfast and start drinking water the rest of the day.  

At first, it was hard!  I just didn't like drinking water with my meals!  The food didn't taste the same and I missed my pop.  But, after just a few days I got used to it.  

Now, I still allow myself the occasional glass at parties or restaurants.  But, it is a special treat.  I really do enjoy the taste, so I don't want to deny myself a glass now and then.  Not saying, "I can't have that" makes it more likely I won't cave in and just give up.

I don't plan to ever start drinking pop on a regular basis again.  I really want to be healthier and a huge part of this is making better food choices.



Speaking of becoming healthier...here is my weekly update on my weight loss journey:

I've decided to change my weigh-in day to Friday.  I'll still post about it on Saturday, but I'm more likely to be home and not rushing around on Friday morning than I am on Saturday.  This will give me a chance to take more pictures (which I have been neglecting) and make sure I get all my measurements entered into Weight Watchers before I head out the door. 

This week I lost a pound!  This give me a total loss of 7.3 lbs lost and 101 lbs to go until my goal. 





MEASUREMENTS
DATE
WEIGHT
LBS. TO GOAL
BMI
WAIST
HIPS
CHEST
THIGH
CALF
ANKLE
ARMS
BRA SIZE
8/25/12
263.30
108.30
42.49
40.00
51.50
43.00
32.00
19.50
10.50
16.00
42G
9/1/12
258.40
103.40
41.70
38.50
51.00
42.00
32.00
19.50
10.50
16.00
42G
9/8/12
259.20
104.20
41.83
38.50
51.00
41.50
31.00
19.00
10.50
16.00
42G
9/15/12
258.80
103.80
41.77
38.50
51.00
41.50
31.00
19.00
10.50
16.00
42G
9/22/12
258.80
103.80
41.77
38.50
51.00
41.50
31.00
19.00
10.50
16.00
42G
9/29/12
257.00
102.00
41.48
38.00
51.00
41.50
31.00
19.00
10.50
16.00
42G
10/6/12
256.00
101.00
41.31
38.00
51.00
41.50
31.00
19.00
10.50
16.00
42G
Loss
4.90
4.90
0.79
1.50
0.50
1.00
0.00
0.00
0.00
0.00



This week I am really going to try and step it up.  Not so much because I'm unhappy with losing a pound.  But, because I know I can do better!  I have missed tracking a few meals and have gone over my points occasionally.  I'm also not being as active as I would like.  But, I'm still happy that I lost a pound!

No comments:

Post a Comment